Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Rainbow Mountain and Red Valley 1 Day Tour
Rainbow Mountain in Peru, It is an absolute must-see day trip for those in the Cusco area with a bit of spare time. This iconic hike is full of high Andean landscapes bursting with colors of the rainbow. Not only that, but there are hills and peaks that boast a reddish desert vibe, making it one of the most impressive landscapes of the Peruvian Andes. The beauty of this location makes for some of the most perplexing and other-worldly photography on Earth.
This hike is not for the faint of heart, as it clocks in at 8 km for the round trip. But wait, there’s more – it’s all above a whopping 5100 m! The difficulty of this hike adds to the overall experience and is considered one of the best day hikes in Peru!
To make this Rainbow Mountain trip more convenient, we provide everything you need. The guide will even pick you up from your hotel to give you all the juicy deets before the tour starts. We also provide breakfast and lunch, so you won’t have to worry about a thing. Take a gander at our itinerary and tour details to see what we mean.
Feeling extra adventurous? You can also take this trip on horseback for an additional cost of s/80 soles. Locals rent out the horses, which will only add to your experience. Renting a horse can be done directly from the locals once you reach the trail head.
- Stunning Andean landscapes: Rainbow Mountain and Red Valley offer breathtaking views and unique rock formations.
- Challenging Hike: Rainbow Mountain trek is both scenic and adventurous due to the high altitude.
- Rainbow-Colored Mountain: Experience the awe-inspiring beauty of Rainbow Mountain with its vibrant colors.
- Hidden Gem: Red Valley’s majestic red peaks and cliffs contrast beautifully with blue skies.
- Cultural Immersion: Get a glimpse of Andean life and traditions.
- Horseback Riding: Enjoy the views while riding a friendly horse instead of hiking.
- Local Communities: Meet welcoming locals and learn about their stories and knowledge of the Andes.
- Delicious Food: Taste the fresh and organic local cuisine, with coca tea to help with altitude sickness.
- Professional Guides: Experienced guides ensure your safety and share valuable insights about Andean culture and environment.
- Sustainable Tourism: Xplore Cusco’s Rainbow Mountain tour supports the preservation of Andean natural and cultural heritage and local communities.
Pick-up and Breakfast
- Pick-up time from your hotel is from 3:30 to 4:00 am
- After picking up everyone from their respective hotels, we will go to the town of Cusipata by car for 2 hours
- We will make a stop at the restaurant to have a delicious breakfast, which will take about an hour
Hike to Rainbow Mountain
- We will continue in the same car for 1 more hour towards the beginning of the hike which is called Chilliwani at 4700 m
- Then we go to the control point to pay the entrance fee to the community (20 soles for foreign visitors and 10 soles for Peruvian)
- Afterwards, we get ready for the hike towards the Rainbow mountain for around 2 hours uphill hike a distance of 4 km
- Once in the Rainbow mountain, you will have enough time to take pictures, listen to the explanations of the guide and enjoy all the wonderful landscape of the area
- The time that you will spend at the rainbow mountain is about 30 minutes to an hour depending on the weather conditions
- Sometimes it is cloudy, foggy or a little rainy and it is very cold in that case you may stay about 30 minutes, if the weather is sunny and clear you can stay around an hour enough time to know the Rainbow mountain
Hike back to Car Stop
- After we will get ready for the return hike through the Red Valley which is a spectacular red landscape
- The hike through the red valley takes about 2 hours to the car stop and it will be the end of the hike
- If you do not like to do the Red Valley hike you can return to the car stop by the same trail that you took to make to the Rainbow mountain
- The downhill hike by the same trail takes around 1.5 hours to the car stop
- The car will wait for every single person of the group
Lunch and Return to Cusco
- Then we take the car back to Cusipata for an hour where we will stop to have a buffet lunch
- Car ride back to Cusco takes around 3 hours
- You will be back in Cusco around 4:30 pm
What to bring
- Small backpack to carry water, snacks, camera, etc.
- 2 liters of water (there are options to buy along the route)
- Snacks such as apples, cereal bars, sweets, and chocolates
- Sun cream
- Rain jacket or poncho
- Cash in soles for extras and entrance fee to the Red Valley.
What to wear
- Wool hat
- Long pants
- Comfortable hiking shoes or boots
It’s also important to dress in layers so that you can adjust your clothing as the temperature changes throughout the day. Additionally, make sure to bring a small backpack to carry water, snacks, camera, and other essentials.
- Be in good physical condition and acclimatize to the altitude before the tour.
- Wear warm and comfortable clothes suitable for hiking, including a wool hat, T-shirt, layers, a jacket, long pants, sunglasses, and gloves.
- Wear comfortable hiking shoes or boots with good traction.
- Bring a small backpack to carry water, snacks, camera, etc.
- Bring at least 2 liters of water and snacks like apples, cereal bars, sweets, and chocolates.
- Apply sunscreen and wear a hat to protect yourself from the sun.
- Bring a rain jacket or poncho in case of rain.
- Bring cash in soles for extras and entrance fee to the Red Valley.
- Listen to your guide’s instructions and stay with the group at all times.
- Respect the environment and do not leave any trash on the trail.
What is Rainbow Mountain?
It is a beautiful destination located in Cusco, Peru.
Why Rainbow Mountain day tour with Xplore Cusco?
Our tours are all about having the best experience of the destination, that’s why our itineraries seek to find the best schedules so you can have the destination all to yourself or just a few people and enjoy it more.
Rainbow Mountain in Peru, It is an absolute must-see day trip for those in the Cusco area with a bit of spare time. This iconic hike is full of high Andean landscapes bursting with colors of the rainbow.