Humantay Lake is a very popular destination in Cusco, Peru. It is a beautiful turquoise lake in the middle of snow-capped mountains, located over 13900 ft (4000 m) above sea level, near the sacred mountain of the Incas which is Salkantay.
What to expect at Humantay Lake
- A steep hike: We are going to hike for about 2-3 hours to reach this beautiful lake. The hike can be quite challenging, but it’s worth it.
- Beautiful scenery: Along the way, you will see stunning mountain landscapes and natural beauty. Be sure to bring a camera to capture the scenery!
- Cold temperatures: Because the lake is located high up close to snow mountains like Salkantay, the temperature can be quite cold. Be sure to dress warmly and bring layers.
- Crystal-clear water: Humantay Lake is known for its clear blue-green water in the middle of the snow mountains.
- Peaceful atmosphere: The lake is a popular destination, but it still maintains a peaceful and serene atmosphere. You can sit and enjoy the beauty in peace.
- Possible altitude sickness: Because the lake is located at a high altitude, some people may experience altitude sickness. We recommend to drink plenty and bring water.
- Local culture: The hike to Humantay Lake takes you through local communities where you can experience the traditional Peruvian culture.
How is the Hike to Humantay Lake
The hike to Humantay Lake is a challenging and rewarding experience. The trail is in good condition and the views along the route and from the top are simply breathtaking. The complete route to Humantay is about 2 km up and another 2 km down, and takes between 2 and 3 hours to reach. The start is easy and as we continue we will face some challenging parts like the last part which is steep. The trail is steep in some sections and has some curves. It is best to do the route in the morning when the weather is cooler.
The Views from the Lake
The views from Humantay Lake are simply stunning. The lake is surrounded by snow-capped peaks and the water is a beautiful turquoise color. The views are especially beautiful at sunrise and sunset.
How to Get to Humantay Lake
The best way to get to Humantay Lake is by hiking. The hike to the lake is about 4 miles round trip and takes about 2-3 hours to complete. The hike is relatively easy, but there are some steep sections. It is important to wear comfortable shoes and to bring plenty of water with you.
You can also get to the Lake by taking a horseback ride. There are several companies that offer horseback rides to the lake. Horseback rides are a great way to see the scenery and to avoid the hike.
What to do in Humantay Lake?
There are many things you can do in the Lake. Here are a few ideas:
- Hike to the lake. The hike to the Lake is a challenging but rewarding experience. The trail is well-maintained and the views from the top are simply stunning.
- Camp by the lake. There are several campsites located near to the Lake. There some lodges call “Sky Lodges” at Soraypampa.
- Relax by the lake. The Lake is a great place to relax and to enjoy the stunning views. You can simply sit by the lake and enjoy the peace and quiet.
- Learn about the history of the lake. The Lake is a sacred lake to the Incas. There are several museums in the area that offer exhibits on the history of the lake.
- Visit the nearby villages. There are several villages located near to the Lake. The villages are a great place to learn about the culture of the area and to sample the local cuisine.
- Stay in sky logdes: There are several skylodges where you can stay at night and see the stars at night.
When to Visit Humantay Lake
The best time to visit Humantay Lake is during the dry season, which runs from April to November. In this months there is no rains.
What to Bring
When you hike to this beautiful lake, it is important to bring the following items:
- Hiking boots
- Hiking clothes
- First-aid kit
Tips for Hiking
Here are some tips for hiking to the Lake:
- Start your hike early in the morning. The sun is stronger at higher altitudes and it is important to avoid hiking in the heat of the day.
- Take breaks often. The altitude can be difficult to adjust to and it is important to take breaks if you feel tired or dizzy.
- Drink plenty of water. The air at high altitudes is thin and it is important to stay hydrated.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing that you can hike in.
- Bring a first-aid kit. There are no medical facilities at this place and it is important to be prepared for any accidents or injuries.
How much is the entrance fee to the lake?
The entrance fee to Humantay Lake is 10 soles per person. This fee is paid at the trailhead, and it is important to bring cash.
The History of the Lake
Humantay is a sacred lake to the Incas. The Incas would often come to the lake to pray and to perform rituals. The lake is also said to be a place where the Incas could connect with the spirit world.
The lake was named after the nearby mountain Humantay, which is considered to be a sacred mountain by the Incas. The mountain is said to be the home of the gods and that it is a place of great power. The Incas would often come to the mountain to pray and to perform rituals.
The lake and the mountain are both part of the Salkantay Trek, which is a popular hiking trail in Peru. You can embark on a journey of self-discovery as you connect with the natural world on the trek to Humantay Lake.
The best time to visit Humantay Lake is during the dry season, which runs from April to November. The weather is mild and there is a good chance of clear skies.
You can get to Humantay Lake by taking a guided tour or by hiking on your own.
The hike to Humantay Lake is challenging but rewarding. The trail is well-maintained and the views from the top are simply stunning.
Water, soles (Peruvian currency), you should also bring sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses.
The best things to do at the Lake are hiking, camping, and relaxing.
The main danger of hiking to this lake is altitude sickness. The trail is high in altitude, and it is important to take it slow and to drink plenty of water.
The benefits of hiking to this lake include the stunning views, the sense of accomplishment, and the opportunity to experience the natural beauty of Peru.
In conclusion, Humantay Lake is a beautiful and breathtaking natural wonder that is definitely worth visiting. Its crystal-clear waters and stunning mountainous surroundings make it a popular destination in Cusco and Peru. Despite the challenging hike to reach the lake, the experience is rewarding and unforgettable. Overall, if you are a nature lover or simply looking for a unique adventure, Humantay is a must-visit destination.