April is a great month to visit Machu Picchu, one of the most iconic and mystical places on Earth. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about visiting Machu Picchu in April, from weather to crowds and costs, and provide some recommendations on what to do in Cusco.
Is Machu Picchu open in April?
Yes, Machu Picchu is open in April, as it is in every month of the year. The only exception is if there are extreme weather conditions or other unforeseen circumstances that require temporary closures.
Is April a good time to visit Machu Picchu?
April marks the beginning of the dry season, which is the most popular time to visit Machu Picchu. The weather is generally sunny and dry, and the crowds are starting to pick up. It’s a great time to visit if you don’t mind the crowds.
What is the Best Time of the Day to Visit Machu Picchu in April?
The best time of day to visit Machu Picchu in April is early in the morning, when the site first opens. This is a great way to avoid the crowds and experience the site in a more peaceful and serene way. Plus, the morning light is perfect for taking photos.
Read more at: Best time to visit Machu Picchu.
April is a great time to visit Machu Picchu as it is one of the drier months of the year. However, it is still considered to be in the rainy season, so it’s important to come prepared for sudden showers. The temperature during the day can range from 18°C (64°F) to 22°C (72°F), while at night it can drop to around 6°C (43°F).
Crowds & Costs
April is considered a shoulder season for Machu Picchu, which means that it’s not as crowded as the high season (June to August) but also not as quiet as the low season (December to February). However, it’s still a popular time to visit, so it’s a good idea to book your tickets and accommodations in advance. The cost of visiting Machu Picchu in this month is the same as any other time of the year.
Pros of visiting Machu Picchu in April
- Lower crowds compared to the high season months of June to August.
- Comfortable temperatures during the day, and cooler temperatures at night.
- Beautiful greenery and flowers blooming throughout the surrounding landscape.
- More availability and flexibility with accommodations and transportation.
- Great time for photography with clear skies and less haze.
- Higher chances of seeing wildlife such as birds and llamas.
Cons of visiting Machu Picchu in April
- There is still a chance of rain, so visitors should come prepared with waterproof gear.
- The Inca Trail can be quite wet and muddy at this time of year, which may affect hiking conditions.
- Some attractions in Cusco and the surrounding area may have reduced hours or be closed during this time due to the low season.
- The risk of flight cancellations or transportation delays due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances may be higher.
- While there are still fewer crowds than during the high season, there may still be some crowds, particularly during peak travel periods such as Easter weekend.
- Book your tickets and accommodations in advance
- Bring waterproof gear in case of sudden showers
- Take advantage of the early morning hours to avoid the crowds
- Consider hiking the Inca Trail for a more immersive experience
What to do in April in Cusco
- Visit the Cusco Cathedral and other historic churches in the city center
- Take a day trip to the Sacred Valley to explore ancient Inca ruins and colorful markets
- Attend the Cusco Food Festival, which takes place in late April and features delicious Peruvian cuisine and live music
- Take a cooking class to learn how to make traditional Peruvian dishes like ceviche and lomo saltado
- Hike to Rainbow Mountain to see the colorful natural wonder up close
Is the Inca Trail open in this month?
Yes, the Inca Trail is open in April, although it’s important to note that it can be quite wet and muddy at this time of year. The trek is still doable, but it’s important to come prepared with the right gear and to be aware of the potential challenges posed by the weather.
Read more at: Hiking Inca Trail in April.
Visiting Machu Picchu in April is a great way to experience this incredible place without dealing with the high-season crowds. With its great weather and range of things to do in Cusco, April is a wonderful time to explore this part of Peru. Just be sure to book your tickets and accommodations in advance, come prepared for the weather, and take advantage of the early morning hours to make the most of your visit.
Yes, Machu Picchu is open every day in April, unless there are unforeseen circumstances that require temporary closures.
Yes, this month is a great time to visit Machu Picchu. The weather is generally good, and the crowds are not as intense as during the high season.
Yes, the Inca Trail is open in this month, but be aware that it can be quite wet and muddy at this time of year.
Dress in layers and bring waterproof gear, as there is a chance of rain. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes for walking around the site.
Looking for other months?
Check out these articles written specifically to see what it is like to visit Machu Picchu in other months.